Principal Environmental Consultant
22nd July 2021
8+ years minimum
Dependent on industry knowledge and experience. In addition, package includes company car, contributory pension and mobile phone.
37.5 hours per week, typically 9:00-17:30 although flexible working can be offered. Frequent requirements to work out of hours depending on client location.
EMS is a systems integrator and specialist solutions provider of instrumentation and services for monitoring and managing discharges to the natural environment. EMS’ subsidiary company, Envirocare, is a UKAS and MCERTS accredited stack emissions testing and occupational hygiene monitoring consultancy. EMS and Envirocare work collaboratively to help businesses across the industrial and municipal sectors meet and maintain environmental compliance by providing services, products and equipment hire for water and wastewater monitoring, air and emissions monitoring, and services in data acquisition, environmental management and training.
Within EMS, the Advisory Team provides environmental guidance and support in order for clients to maintain compliance with legislation and enhance their environmental performance, with EMS often acting as the client’s Environmental Manager. The specialist support we offer is based on understanding clients’ requirements and providing a flexible and holistic approach to taking care of their environmental needs.
Reporting to the EMS Consultancy Manager, the successful candidate will be proactive, enthusiastic and conscientious with a high attention to detail. You will have an appetite for continuous learning about sectors, clients and new legislation and their application. The successful applicant will provide environmental guidance and support to businesses in order for them to maintain compliance with legislation and enhance their environmental performance. This will include carrying out audits, applying for permits and licences, advising on legislation, producing environmental procedures and documentation and often acting as the client’s Environmental Manager. The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and nurturing their own client accounts and overseeing delivery. This is a customer facing role so you must be able to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Provide environmental guidance and support to customers in order for them to maintain compliance and enhance their environmental performance
- Ensure that services are delivered in line with the company's ISO9001 standard
- Manage Consultants in the fulfilment of their roles
- Build and maintain client relationships and manage client expectations
- Identify decision makers and interpret customer requirements to generate business in Advisory and other areas of the company
- Agreeing revenue, gross profit and staff utilisation targets against the business plan with the Consultancy Manager
- Support the Consultancy Manager in sales and key account management to generate sales leads and appointments
- Actively seeking new business development opportunities to allow growth within the Advisory team in line with revenue, GP and staff utilisation targets
- Grow and manage a team of consultants
- Fulfil specific duties requested by the company based on professional competencies
- Business development experience and accountability of delivering work in line with business plan targets
- Implementing, maintaining and/or auditing Environmental Management Systems to ISO14001 standards
- Environmental Permitting including preparing and submitting applications to the regulatory bodies
- Planning applications, preparing environmental statements for Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)
- Consultation and engagement with regulatory bodies (i.e. Local Authorities, Environment Agency)
- Carrying out environmental audits including legal compliance
- Understanding UK and European environmental legislation and how this translates to clients
- Working knowledge of the construction, food and drink and manufacturing sectors
- Working with clients to identify cost effective ways to minimise waste and adopt sustainable solutions
- Problem solving and successfully managing projects to a conclusion within defined deadlines
- BREEAM, Construction Environmental Management Plans and CL:AIRE Materials Management Plans
- Delivery of accredited and non-accredited environmental training courses
Skill Set Requirement
The position requires a wide range of skills including, but not limited to the following:
- Aptitude for new business development and effective consultative sales techniques to proactively generate new business opportunities
- Effective line management skills including the desire and ability to develop, nurture and delegate to direct reports
- Proven track record of understanding and interpreting client’s environmental needs and responsibilities
- Developing and articulating high quality proposals to stakeholders and budget holders for effective conversion
- Proven ability identifying decision makers who could benefit from solutions and services
- High quality management reporting
- Good organisational and time management skills with demonstrable experience of managing several projects at any one time
- Excellent communication skills for effective cross-company liaison
- Effective use of customer relationship management systems
- Self-starter with proven track record of developing and nurturing client accounts and overseeing delivery
- A relevant undergraduate or postgraduate degree in environmental science, management or equivalent
- Chartered Membership with IEMA or equivalent
- Continuous Professional development including: Environmental Management Implementation course or equivalent, advanced EMS Auditor Training course or equivalent, preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) / award in Education and Training (EAT) / or equivalent, train the Trainer
- Full, clean UK driving licence.