Senior Environmental Consultant
7th January 2021
3+ years minimum
Dependent on industry knowledge and experience. In addition, package includes company car, contributory pension and mobile phone.
37.5 hours per week, typically 9:00 - 17:30 although flexible working can be offered. Frequent requirements to work out of hours depending on client location.
EMS is looking to appoint a Senior Environmental Consultant to join the Advisory Team. You will be proactive and ambitious with a proven track record of interpreting businesses’ environmental responsibilities, developing proposals and articulating to stakeholders for effective conversion and delivery.
You will have a proven aptitude for developing new client relationships and converting opportunities providing guidance and support in order for them to maintain compliance with legislation and enhance their environmental performance. The successful individual will be required to develop and deliver against a strategic vision aligned with the growth of both the business division and the EMS group of companies as a whole.
Reporting to the EMS Consultancy Manager, the successful candidate will be proactive, enthusiastic and conscientious with a high attention to detail. You will have an appetite for continuous learning about sectors, clients and new legislation and their application.
The successful applicant will provide environmental guidance and support to businesses in order for them to maintain compliance with legislation and enhance their environmental performance. This will include carrying out audits, applying for permits and licences, advising on legislation, producing environmental procedures and documentation and often acting as the client’s Environmental Manager.
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and nurturing their own client accounts and overseeing delivery. This is a customer facing role so you must be able to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Provide environmental guidance and support to customers in order for them to maintain compliance and enhance their environmental performance
- Ensure that services are delivered in line with the company's ISO9001 standard
- Manage Consultants in the fulfilment of their roles
- Build and maintain client relationships and manage client expectations
- Identify decision makers and interpret customer requirements to generate business in Advisory and other areas of the company
- Support the Consultancy Manager in sales and key account management to generate sales leads and appointments
- Fulfil specific duties requested by the company based on professional competencies
Skill Set Requirement
The position requires a wide range of skills including, but not limited to the following:
- Proven track record of understanding and interpreting client’s environmental needs and responsibilities
- Developing and articulating high quality proposals to stakeholders and budget holders for effective conversion
- Proven ability identifying decision makers who could benefit from solutions and services
- Aptitude for new business development and effective consultative sales techniques to proactively generate new business opportunities
- High quality management reporting
- Excellent communication skills for effective cross-company liaison
- Effective line management skills including the desire and ability to develop, nurture and delegate to direct reports
- Effective use of customer relationship management systems
- Implementing, maintaining and/or auditing Environmental Management Systems to ISO14001 standards
- Environmental Permitting including preparing and submitting applications to the regulatory bodies
- Planning applications, preparing environmental statements for Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)
- Consultation and engagement with regulatory bodies (i.e. Local Authorities, Environment Agency)
- Carrying out environmental audits including legal compliance
- Understanding UK and European environmental legislation and how this translates to clients
- Working knowledge of the construction, food and drink and manufacturing sectors
- Working with clients to identify cost effective ways to minimise waste and adopt sustainable solutions
- Problem solving and successfully managing projects to a conclusion within defined deadlines
- BREEAM, Construction Environmental Management Plans and CL:AIRE Materials Management Plans
- Delivery of accredited and non-accredited environmental training courses
- Self-starter with proven track record of developing and nurturing client accounts and overseeing delivery
- A relevant undergraduate or postgraduate degree in environmental science or equivalent
- Practitioner Membership and working toward Full Membership and Chartered Status with IEMA or equivalent
- Continuous Professional development including: Environmental Management Implementation course or equivalent, Advanced EMS Auditor Training course or equivalent, Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) / Award in Education and Training (EAT) / or equivalent, Train the Trainer
- Full, clean UK driving licence