EMS carry out environmental noise surveys on the site boundary, identifying noise issues which may cause nuisance to sensitive receptors i.e neighbouring sites and wildlife areas.
Environmental noise is an issue for any business which creates noise that can negatively impact on the wider environment and human health.
Environmental noise monitoring and assessments can help you to meet regulatory requirements such as:
- Supporting EPR permit applications
- Responding to statutory nuisance complaints
- Supporting planning applications
- Proactive due diligence
Further to regulatory requirements, conducting environmental noise monitoring and assessments is also a form of proactive environmental management. A proactive approach can assist you in achieving objectives and targets within Environmental Management Systems and bolster relationships with the local community.
Our environmental consultants will:
- Liaise with the Environment Agency, local council or regulatory authority on your behalf
- Conduct environmental noise monitoring in line with British Standard 4142 and perform data analysis
- Compile a report to present the findings of the environmental noise monitoring, comparing the results to any conditions placed on the company by the Environment Agency, local council or regulatory authority
- Provide guidance and advise on implementing noise mitigation measures
What to expect
A type 1 sound level meter is used to record noise measurements, usually at the nearest local receptors, when the source of noise is both running and not running. Measurements may need to be taken at differing times of the day, including night time should the noise source be running then. Characteristics of the noise sources, such as whether the noise is typically broad-ban, tonal and/or impulsive also need to be taken into account.
The resulting report will present the findings of the survey, comparing the results to any conditions placed on the company by local councils as regards noise, and also provide guidance on reducing noise emissions from the site.
Related Case Studies
Accreditations & Awards
Fortnightly Bulletin - 21st September
Our latest fortnightly bulletin providing you with news and updates from the environmental sector.