Fortnightly Bulletin – 9th January 2023
11 January 2023
Medium Combustion Plant (MCP): Comply With Emission Limit Values
If you need a permit, before you apply you must check what ELV your MCP must meet.
This guidance explains:
- the ELV the MCP must meet, based on its type, such as if it’s new or existing, the fuel it burns and technology it uses,
- if the MCP is exempt from meeting ELVs.
It also explains when the MCP may need to meet a stricter ELV, such as when the MCP, including a mobile MCP deployment, is located within:
- a local authority Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) air quality zone,
- the minimum distance to a habitats site.
Reporting Packaging Data
Find out if you need to report packaging data under extended producer responsibility (EPR) for packaging.
Organisations that handle and supply (create, import, distribute or sell) packaging and packaged goods may be affected by EPR for packaging.
Use this tool to find out:
- if the regulations apply to you,
- whether you’ll need to pay a fee,
- what you need to do next to comply with the regulations.
You’ll need to know:
- your annual turnover,
- the ways that your organisation handles and supplies packaging,
- the total weight (in tonnes) of packaging you handled and supplied in 2022.
Articles of Interest
Europe and Polar Regions Bear Brunt of Warming in 2022
The polar regions and Europe were hit hardest by global warming in 2022, according to a new analysis.
The data from Copernicus, the EU’s climate monitoring service, says 2022 was the fifth warmest year globally.
Europe experienced its warmest summer, with temperatures increasing by more than twice the global average over the past three decades, faster than any other continent.
Last year saw a continuation of a pattern of global warming that has become the new normal, say Copernicus scientists.
While the La Niña weather event helped to cool the oceans for the third year in a row, global temperatures were still approximately 0.3C higher in 2022 than the 1991-2020 reference period.
Researchers say this means that last year was close to 1.2C above the 1850-1900 period, taken as the start of global industrialisation.
Europe and the polar regions were at the sharp end of this high heat.
Source: BBC News
Online Learning and Events
Low Carbon Sustainability Training
2nd February 2023 14:30-16:00
This workshop will explain the jargon behind climate science and help attendees get started on measuring and reducing their impact.
What will I learn?
- How to get started on the road to Net Zero
- Measure & understand your carbon emissions
- Actions to reduce your carbon footprint
- Benefit your business and the planet
- Learn from local case studies
Why All Businesses Should Embrace Sustainability
3rd February 2023 12:30-16:00
Join this session for a panel-style webinar consisting of a selection of Positive Planet clients who will be discussing their sustainability journey so far.
The panel will include:
- Ben Dunevein, Managing Director, Concept Products.
- Joe Gresty, QHSE Coordinator, Winder Power.
- Sarah Venn, HR & Compliance Manager, Altia Intel.
This event is the perfect opportunity to gain first-hand insights into business experiences of reducing emissions and putting carbon reduction plans into action.